I just love being given awards that allow me to talk about myself, so I was pretty pleased when the talented Rachel Amphlett named me as one of the authors she had given the Liebster Award.
The Liebster Award goes way back…. so far back that no-one seems to know anything about who started it or when they came up with idea for it. But authors have been loyally passing it on and on for….. hmm yeah, I have absolutely no idea how long. What I do know is that being awarded it means I must share 11 random facts about myself, answer 11 questions and then set a whole new set of 11 questions and pass it on to 11 new authors. (Wow – that Liebster dude really liked the number 11.) The aim of the award is to introduce you to 11 new blog sites.
Anyway here I go.
11 Random Facts about Moi.
1. I have a brown belt in Bushidokai Karate.
2. I make my own soap.
3. I love doing night courses. Over the years I have done courses in clothing pattern making, sewing, adult ballet, belly dancing, pole dancing, cake icing, pottery and I am currently completing a Certificate in Pet Grooming. Unfortunately I am proficient in none of the above.
4. I am writing a a YA fantasy trilogy called the War Faery Series and have just finished writing book 2.
5. I am gluten and dairy intolerant. (Boohoo.)
6. I met my husband, the pilot, working as a dentist at RAAF Base Pearce in Perth, Western Australia. That was 16 years ago.
7. I am currently a ‘metal mouth' going through my third course of braces. I like to think they make me look younger.
8. I have often woken in the morning with a hangover and crazy-dancing-shame.
9. In 2011 I trained for and completed two half marathons. Since then I've only run twice – a total of about 5 kilometers.
10. Two days ago my washing machine's spin dryer started making a really awful sound. Today I discovered one of the pilot's socks wrapped around the base of the spin basket. Under that I found a pair of fancy undies that mysteriously disappeared about two years ago. Needless to say the spin dryer is now the quietest it's been for the last two years.
11. My favorite foods are chocolate, cheese, cake and ice-cream. Because of fact number five this is a real bummer.
11 Questions set by Rachel Amphlett.
1. What’s your favourite album cover and why?
Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories. It's not so much that I expressly love the cover but more it reminds me of a really good time in my life. I bought the album when I finished Royal Australian Air Force Officer training and moved to Perth. It was the first time in my life that I wasn't studying and I made some really great friends and had a lot of fun.
2. You’ve got the chance to travel back in time and be in your favourite movie. Which movie, and which character do you choose and why?
Hmmm – it's either Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice because the build up of sexual tension between her and Mr Darcy always leaves me breathless, or Jane Smith from Mr and Mrs Smith, because she's a kick-ass chick that gets to make out with Brad Pitt.
I think I'm going to have to go with Jane Smith.
3. You’ve been offered the chance to interview a person of your choosing. Who would you choose – and what’s your opening question?
Daniel Craig – just so I can be in the same room with the man. I don't really have an opening question. I think I'll just sit there and drool.
4. You’ve been asked to speak about writing in front of a class of 12-year olds. What advice aren’t you going to give them?
That a good sex scene has to titillate the readers' minds.
5. What’s the worst (repeatable!) joke you’ve ever heard?
What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs?
6. Relaxing holiday or action holiday? And where?
Definately action. The next one the pilot and I want to do is to Brazil. Apparently there's some good motorbike trails there.
7. You’ve got the chance to go back to your schooldays. What would you do differently?
I would realise that I have very thick boofy hair and I would never, ever, ever go to the hairdressers and ask for a pixie cut like the blonde chick in Melrose Place. Think hyperactive mushroom top.
8. Your house is burning down, you’ve got the family and the pets out. The flames are making their way towards your bookshelves … and you can only save one. Which book do you rescue, and why?
I have a copy of The Lord of the Rings that is really old: the pages are made from the same sort of paper that they use in bibles. I would have to grab that.
9. You can be a superhero for the day (or a villain). Who are you going to be and why? (And yes, you get to wear the costume with the cape too if that sort of thing floats your boat.)
Catwoman. Sadly, purely because I like the costume. Oh and it would be fun to kick bad guys' butts.
10. Animal, vegetable or mineral?
11. If you could play an instrument, what would it be and why? (And if you can already play an instrument, pick another!)
The violin. I wanted to learn it when I was a kid, but Mum and Dad steered me towards the piano – purely because they didn't want to have to listen to cat torture sounds coming from my room at night. But I've always felt an affinity for the violin, and when I see one I want to pick it up and play it.
Phew, I did it. There were some curly ones there. Right so now for my 11 authors and my 11 questions.
The 11 authors I am giving the Liebster Award to are:
And now for my 11 Questions for my lucky authors.
1. If you could choose to be any animal, which would you choose and why?
2. Which book have you read more than any other and why?
3. If you could choose one person to totally erase from history who would it be and why?
4. Tell us about the project are you currently working on and one that you are planning to start.
5. If you won 30 million dollars in the national lottery what would you do?
6. What part of your body do you like the most and which do you like the least?
7. What is the thing you are most scared of?
8. If you could swap lives with one person for a day who would you chose?
9. What is the one thing that you can not do without?
10. What's the thing you are most proud of?
11. If you could choose anywhere in the world to live where would it be and why?